Boba We Dare to Imagine Part 1

"How would you make the world a better place?". The question is so broad that it's difficult to think about any one solution. Even with no limits. Currently, the world is swarming with problems. Some we're exposed to. While, others not so much. There's a problem hiding in every nook and cranny of our planet. The sad reality is that it's impossible to solve every issue through a single solution. That's why I narrowed down the problems that I want to address: global warming, poverty, and pollution. So what's my idea for solving these issues? Boba. Of course.

Just kidding. I'm actually going to tackle these problems through a specific interest of mine (probably 2nd to boba). Technology. Technology has been a passion of mine because I'm always interested in how it'll change the world next. So, I thought if I'm going to make the world a better place, what better way than through technology. Now, let's get back to the main problems I mentioned. Global warming, poverty, and pollution. So, how am I going to solve all these problems? As much as I want to say "just move to a different planet" (or boba), I'm going to solve these through existing technologies.

Just one quick disclaimer before going forward. These will in no way solve the problems outright, but instead will be steps towards making the world a better place. So, my plan for solving these three completely different issues is through three completely different solutions under the umbrella of technology. For global warming, my idea is pretty abstract. The plan is to add more wind turbines. Now, at first it may seem a little weird (especially with solar energy in the picture), but the growth of wind energy has been substantial. Since 2008, wind capacity has tripled to over 82 GW, which is enough to power over 24 million homes. Needless to say, this will take out the need for coal energy, lowering carbon emissions. Next up on the list is poverty. For this, I want to visit an area that's been gaining a lot of steam. The crowdfunding sector. Sites such as GoFundMe have topped contributions over $3 billion. Now, think about this on the global scale with all this money going towards those in need. Finally, let's look at pollution. My idea for pollution is for industries to start taking the Netflix or Spotify approach. Before these companies existed, the norm was physical copies of movies or music (which would eventually become waste). But, once Spotify and Netflix entered, they set the norm to streaming. Although the focus was convenience, they also contributed to a waste-free future. Now, all we need are other companies to follow suit to find ways to reduce waste in an innovative fashion.

(Don't worry, I'll never forget the boba picture)

Comments

  1. I think focusing on sustainability is a good umbrella for poverty, global warming, and pollution. Sustainable living and affordable housing are connected, and houses that have a smaller carbon footprint are usually saving money. Not being wasteful and including green spaces like community gardens help the environment and your budget. Proper recycling and low-energy production also can reduce the current waste that is harming the environment. All of these small sustainable things can lessen the effects of the issues you discussed, but larger and more organized efforts would be needed to fix these problems on the global scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you don't point out complete solutions to the problems that you list, and instead point out ideas that can help move us in the right direction. I'm interested to see what ideas you come up with in your proposal that will help to reduce waste! Let me know if you end up being a founder of the next Spotify or Netflix.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts