DATA CENTER INTERN

I always find explaining this internship to be necessary since no one can tell what exactly I did base on the job title. Even if you have an idea, it’s probably close at best. Let me explain why.  

Before I get into what I did, let’s start by breaking down the job title itself. “Data Center Intern”. The first question that probably pops up into your mind is, “what is an intern?”. Joking aside, you’re probably wondering what a data center is. At its essence, a data center is a place that houses computing facilities, such as servers for example. The main function of a data center is to organize, process, and store large amounts of data. Think of it as the heart of a modern-day business as they can’t live without it. Now I’m sure some of you know what a data center is, but this is where things get interesting. The job title for my internship is nothing but a facade.

In my case, I was the first international intern at Intel China. My circumstances allowed for a unique job position where a specific title couldn’t describe my responsibilities. Hence, a plain yet flexible title such as “Data Center Intern”. So why don’t we finally get into my job.

I worked in the Intel data center group, also known as DCG. Going back to the description of a data center, DCG supplies data centers with server chips and solutions to make data processes easier. Now this is where the confines of the title “Data Center Intern” end. Although I worked in DCG, I did a lot outside the area as well.

If I were to sum up my responsibilities, it would be through these three duties:
  •        Analyze business problems
  •        Report on technology trade shows
  •        Conduct training sessions

Analyze Business Problems
This was my main duty and probably had the most to do with DCG. So, what exactly did this entail? I received Intel China related business problems and was tasked to present potential solutions or summarize relevant data. Most of these problems fell under DCG. The steps I would take to fulfill my duty were:      
  •     Understand given problem
  •      Analyze relevant data
  •       Think of potential solutions
  •       Create a PowerPoint presentation
  •       Present to manager

Although most of the work goes into the critical thinking aspect, I would say the most important part is the PowerPoint presentation. In the end, the presentation is what conveys the information to the reader/listener. Thus, it is imperative to have a clear, logical flow and include relevant graphics when needed. If the reader/listener understands my thought process, that’s when I know I’ve fulfilled my duty. I would love to give an example, but unfortunately I’m under a nondisclosure agreement. Sorry.

Before moving on, I want to quickly address a common misconception. Due to the job title, most people regard this position as primarily technical. But, this is only true to a certain degree. Although some technical knowledge is necessary to understand some business problems and data, I didn’t do any actual programming or chip design.

Report on Technology Trade Shows
This was my most enjoyable duty. To be honest, it’s hard to even call it a duty. I basically got paid to travel and visit technology trade shows. Let me remind you, I was in China so I got to explore all sorts of places thanks to this. Just in case you were wondering what a technology trade show is, it’s a place where companies come to showcase their upcoming products. As a technology enthusiast, this made me very happy. Essentially, I would visit a technology trade show and write up a report on it when I got home. Simple as that. So why don’t we get an example since I’m not under a nondisclosure agreement for this.

One thing to keep in mind for technology trade shows is that they always have a central theme. For example, one of the trade shows I went to was called CES. CES stands for consumer electronics show. As you could probably guess, this trade show focuses on upcoming consumer technology. Pretty much stuff you’ll use every day. As you can imagine, there are many trade shows for various areas. As a tech company, these shows are a great way to promote upcoming products.

Conduct Training Sessions
Going back to the fact that I was the first international intern, I was tasked to hold training sessions to strengthen communication between countries. Keep in mind, Intel is a global company, with branches across the world. This means that there is a lot of interaction between workers from different parts of the world. Although everyone in Intel can speak English, it is not always a first language. So, this can sometimes lead to communication problems. This is where I came in to bring up cultural awareness and teach employees helpful communication methods.

Before holding any training sessions, I needed to make a PowerPoint to supplement my presentation. Here are the steps I went through to make it:
  •        Collect data through various statistics
  •       Conduct interviews with employees from other regions
  •       Compile into PowerPoint presentation

After collecting all the information, the important part was to convey it properly. I used strategies such as providing cultural equivalents to that of Chinese culture, making understanding other cultures easier. With the foundation in place, I finally started holding weekly training sessions. This pretty much translates to giving one hour presentations to a room filled with people. Good public speaking practice.


Word tripping with that 6.4%

Another random picture of boba

Comments

  1. Raza (boba-boy)
    I was pleasantly surprised by your job experience. It sounds like you had a very rewarding and busy summer. The fact that you were the first international intern at Intel China is a pretty cool accomplishment for you to be able to put under your belt. I liked that you were able to take what you had learned from China and transfer this information to others at Intel so they could be more culturally literate. I thought your use of paragraphs, informal writing and convenient lists made your writing very readable and enjoyable to read.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your job memo about your intern work for Intel China. I liked how at the beginning you really emphasized the importance of a data center when you said that it was "the HEART of a modern-day business."
    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sound like you are setting up your future to be a successful one. I have never heard of an international intern before this memo as well, thats an awesome experience to have. I also think you simplified a lot of it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Raza,
    Wooo, u know what, I have been to Intel in Chengdu! It's really cool to hear details about what people need to do when they work in data center. Based on what I've heard about, the data base of a company has become more and more important because the analysis will be very helpful for a company's future. Also, I'm really interested in the reason you want to work in China, hopefully I can hear from you soon!
    - Xiaoxin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Raza,
    Good job breaking down your responsibilities into 3 parts, and then connecting them all together at the end. This writing strategy helped to simplify what it is that you did, even though the internship itself sounds very technical. I also love the obligatory pictures of quality boba at the end of your posts!
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really appreciate your writing style and think I learned a lot from it. The bullet point is very on point and it's even easier to read and digest. Your experience as an intern at Intel sounds so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the formatting you used, and found it to be very good flowing. It is so cool how you were the first international inter in china! Your internship seems really interesting and something that I do not know a lot about. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not understand by Just reading a title, but after I read your post, I gained a sense of what you did as an intern. Every time when I encounter words which are not familiar to me, there is a description which made it easier for readers to understand. It must be often difficult for you to work in other country, but I am sure that your experience will help you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from someone who is not the most tech savvy people like you are a god send. Not gonna lie at the beginning I was pretty confused about what your job actually was but you explained it very thoroughly and I am familiar with Intel. Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm happy to hear you enjoy what you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts