A Not So Random Post on Boba

Well, who didn't see this one coming.

That's right. I'm back at it again with another post on boba. But, you know what. It's time to spice things up a little. In the expert article I just wrote, I mentioned a few of my recommendations for good boba. Which is exactly why I'm going to talk about the complete opposite. I'm going to tell you about the bad boba. The boba you should avoid at all costs. The boba that makes you wonder if you're actually drinking boba.

(These kids will learn one day)

Let's get straight to it. Which boba do I think you should avoid? The answer is simple. None. All boba is amazing—just kidding. If you really love something, you can see all its shortcomings. So which boba do I think falls short? I'm going to have to go with Lollicup. 

More specifically, their milk tea. If you're looking for fruit variants, feel free to go for it. But, the milk tea is definitely a no-go. So where did they go wrong? The answer lies in the tea leaves. Or should I say the lack thereof. Lollicup uses powdered tea instead. And the difference is apparent. There is a way to disguise this though. If you make the tea sweeter, you won't be able to taste the difference. But, I don't think its worth it. Speaking of worth, the price is on the lower end for boba, which is to be expected. However, I think it's better just to get boba from a different place. 

Sorry, Lollicup. You're going to have to take an L on this one. 


So are you wondering which other boba I think fall short? Well, maybe you'll find out next time!


Comments

  1. Yo Raza,
    Just wanna let you know, the boba that I mentioned is called Jin Tea Shop, and the address is:
    18 W Green St, Pasadena, CA 91105
    I found this when I went to have hot pot with my friend, it's sooooooo good! You definitely need to check it out (I know it's a little bit far but WORTH)!
    - Xiaoxin Shen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great thing to know! Since I am new here, I am trying to figure out which Boba shops to go to (or not).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lollicup? I respectfully disagree. I love that place! Well, to be fair, that's a chain restaurant and the only boba place I went to near my home (and one of the only few boba places near my home). I wasn't a huge fan of Cup O' Joy. The taste was good but also very overwhelming. The Dornsife reception during Welcome Week also had a stand serving boba that tasted awful. Maybe I'm too used to Lollicup's boba?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard similar things about Lollicup so I've never tried there, but I am glad to hear the specifics about why you don't like it. I like how you end it because I'll definitely be reading your other random blog posts to see which other spots make the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know not to go to Lollicup. I've been trying to find a good boba place nearby. My favorite boba place in my hometown was this place called "Cozy Tea and Juice". My favorite was their honeydew milk tea boba!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love to drink boba and it's good to know a boba place I should not go. I usually drink milk tea based boba so I never want to try the boba place which does not make good teas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hands down the most consistent blog at SC. Lollicup does look rather Americanized and the tea tastes not right, I agree. Real boba lover, respect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You, now I know not to try Lollicup! I also love boba and would reccomend you try Volcano tea in West LA. Its worth the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the advice! I will steer clear of Lollicup, but I still have yet to find boba that I like, so I will take on the recommendations from your expert article! Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Reza thank you for the advice and i will not be ordering boba at Lollicup, but you should try volcano tea their milk tea is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had boba before, but I appreciate the advice on where not to go. I'll definitely avoid Lollicup for my first boba experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this fun and informative article reviewing Lilicup tea. It bothers me that they think it is alright to use a powdered substitute instead of real tea leaves. Keep fighting the good fight!
    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts